Bulbs produce some of the most beautiful flowers in the garden palate (think iris, tulips and daffodils). Bulbs provide brilliant splashes of cheerful color in the winter and spring months. To top it off, you can even plant them in large containers on the patio. Plant some calendula or pansies in the pots to cover the soil with color until the bulbs come up. They will know when it is time to emerge.
1. Obama vows justice for James Foley
If I’d known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. I think Eubie Blake gets credit for that familiar line. The truth is we are living longer, but maybe not in the best of shape. The average lifespan for men is around 75. For women it’s 80 - still longer than men but the gap is narrowing. And here’s the good news: Seniors are healthier, more active and economically better off than they ever have been.
1. Robin Williams dies at the age of 63
1. Israelis and Palestinians agree to new, 72-hour cease-fire
1. Obama authorizes limited airstrikes and humanitarian airdrops in northern Iraq
1. CDC raises its alert level over Ebola
1. American general killed in an apparent insider attack in Afghanistan
1. Israel says it will hold fire in most of Gaza for seven hours
1. Humanitarian crisis worsens in Gaza
1. Court rules overturns Virginia's same-sex marriage ban
1. Strikes ease under Palestinian-Israelis humanitarian truce
1. Protests rock the West Bank ahead of a "day of rage"
1. Arizona inmate gasps for 90 minutes during execution
1. Kerry arrives in Israel to push peace
1. Fighting intensifies in Gaza