explorernews.com on Facebook
- Video Gallery
- Special Sections
No injuries were reported following a fire in the town of Oracle that burned through 3.96 acres on June 12.
Buffelgrass issues continue in Southern Arizona while volunteers break their backs digging out buffelgrass in Southern Arizona the U.S. Department of Agriculture is promoting a cold-resistant strain of the “noxious weed” that will spread it even further. While Saguaro National Park contemplates spraying herbicides on buffelgrass with helicopters, Texas calls Pennisetum ciliaris its “wonder grass.” The Buffelgrass Seed Company in Corpus Christi today sells six varieties of the weed with the slogan, “We help America grow.”
At the midpoint of the year - on July 1 - the Mountain Vista Fire District will become what it calls “fully operational” by adding 33 firefighters to its full time staff.
Since the tragic events in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania 12 years ago, Americans have shown an even greater respect for the men and women in public safety. Their heroic actions are an inspiration to all of us who are fortunate to live in this great country.
Northwest Fire crews responded to I-10 and Avra Valley Road at 2:49 p.m. Sunday after reports of a vehicle rollover.
Northwest Fire crews responded to I-10 and Avra Valley Road at 2:49pm today after reports of a vehicle rollover.
A pair of well-used work gloves still rest atop a bathroom sink in the Avra Valley home of firefighter William Warneke. Chunks of drywall are piled up in the bedroom corner. There are holes in the floor of the would-be master bathroom, covered only by flimsy cardboard.
Northwest Fire District’s governing board approved a contract for Michael J. Brandt to become its fire chief, dropping the “interim” from his current title when the two-year contract kicks in on May 28.
Mountain Vista Fire District has surpassed the number of signatures of owners and the amount of property value required to annex nearly four square miles of Northwest Tucson into its district for fire protection.
Amber Lights Retirement Community
On Friday at 4:30 a.m., the Pima County Sheriff’s Department received a 9-1-1 call from a male individual who reported he was stuck in a wash with his vehicle but got out safely. The incident location was reported to be at Sandario Road and Manville Road. However, it was later determined to be closer to the intersection of Manville Road and Avra Road. The caller said he heard a male yelling for help and advising that his legs were broken. The caller could not see the other male, but only heard him.
Sunday night’s monsoon storm kept police and fire officials busy with rescues, including one that involved a 93-year old woman.
On July 4, at approximately 8:35 p.m., the Pima County Sheriff’s Department received a 911 call about a female teenager, who reportedly was on a horse and stuck in the Blanco Wash. Deputies of the Pima County Sheriff’s Department Tucson Mountain District responded to the incident location near Lambert Lane and Derringer Road. They were supported by deputies of the Sheriff’s Search & Rescue Unit and the Avra Valley Fire Department.
Just after 9 a.m. Friday morning, crews from the Northwest Fire District's Hazmat team were called to the on ramp of Eastbound Interstate 10 at Avra Valley Road after a report of a “blue powder” that was on the roadway after falling from a truck.
The Northwest Fire District responded to a single vehicle rollover this morning on Avra Valley road approximately a quarter of a mile west of Interstate 10.
Around 2:14 a.m. Monday morning, the Avra Valley Fire District responded to a mobile-home fire at 16940 W. Peccary LN.
Not all the Christmas gifts that area children in need receive this year will fit under the tree. One child in particular will wake up to something that will help visions of sugarplums dance in his head – a new bed.
Applicants sought for OV P&Z spot
A dust storm caused a 10-vehicle crash north of Tucson Thursday night, where an infant was pronounced dead on the scene.
Man injured in Avra Valley house fire
NPCCC chamber seeks awards nominations
Besides classroom disruption, a fire started in the boys bathroom at Marana High School last week, caused minimal damage.