A listing of sports and recreation events in the area.
Wednesday, Aug. 6
• Ladies can register now for the upcoming season of Marana’s first professional women’s football team — The Marana SheDevils! Sign up at Foothills Mall’s SportsZone location for September tryouts, or call 449-3086 for more information.
• Nature journaling is a fun way to embrace the natural world while honing your own creativity. Bring pencil and paper to write and sketch the Sonoran Desert around you. Details: 2 to 4 p.m.; Abbett-Wheeler Branch Library, 7800 N. Schisler Drive; free for ages 12 and older; for more information, call 615-7855 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, Aug. 8
• Discover the mysteries of the monsoon. Learn why some plants can resurrect after rains and animals like toads and tarantulas get active during storms. The indoor program concludes with a first-hand nature walk. Details: 7 to 9 p.m; Pima County Agua Caliente Park, 12325 E. Roger Road; free for all ages; for more information or to RSVP, call 615-7855 or e-mail email@example.com.
Saturday, Aug. 9
• Help your dogs enjoy their days with positive, no-force dog obedience classes. Small classes allow individual attention, but a minimum five dogs are necessary to schedule classes. No choke collars, please. Details: 9:30 a.m.; Oro Valley James D. Kriegh Park, 23 W. Calle Concordia; $160 for eight weeks; for more information, call 229-5050.
Sunday, Aug. 10
• Members of the Oro Valley Mixed Doubles Tennis Group seek a few good backhands. Details: 7:30 a.m.; $5 ball fee every 10 weeks; Ironwood Ridge High School tennis courts, 2475 W. Naranja Drive; for more information, call 575-0829.
Tuesday, Aug. 12
• Nighttime’s the right time for a desert stroll. Join the Oro Valley Night Walkers for a healthy social stroll — and earn a free T-shirt after six weeks! Details: 6 p.m.; All About Running and Walking, 12112 N. Rancho Vistoso Blvd., Suite A130; free for all ages; for more information, call 229-5050.