(Family Features) Dust off your grill and light up the coals - it's time to move the party back to the warm outdoors. Enjoy the company of friends and family this summer with this easy, make-ahead recipe for grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Cream Dip. These versatile treats are sure to please any guest.
Here are a few tips and tricks to use when grilling:
- Marinate meats overnight in a cajun-style marinade, made with vegetable oil, vinegar, minced celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic, Cajun Seasoning, and Tabasco Original Red Sauce for grill-ready flavor that will save you time and stress the next day.
- To please a diverse crowd, prepare an assortment of marinated vegetables and meats for guests to customize their own skewers.
- Add a few dashes of Tabasco Original Red Sauce to your favorite condiments for a spicy twist on classics like bottled ketchup, BBQ sauce, and mayonnaise.
- Soaking wooden skewers in warm water 30 minutes before grilling will help prevent them from burning.
For more recipes and tips, visit www.tabasco.com.
Recipe: Chicken Skewers with Avocado Cream Dip
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco brand Original Red Sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Achiote paste
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (5-ounce) chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes, 36 pieces total
- 1 medium-sized ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco brand Original Red Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 1-inch square pieces white onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 12 1-inch square pieces green bell pepper (about 1/2 pepper)
- 12 1-inch square pieces red bell pepper (about 1/2 pepper)
- Whisk marinade ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Fold in chicken pieces. Mix well. Refrigerate covered for 30 minutes to an hour.
- While chicken is marinating, place all dip ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To assemble skewers: thread one piece of red pepper onto a 3 to 4-inch skewer or toothpick, followed by chicken, onion, another piece of chicken, and green pepper.
- Preheat either a grill or a stovetop griddle to medium-high heat. Cook the skewers on the first side, about 2 minutes, then turn, cooking for 2 minutes on all 4 sides.
- Serve with Avocado Cream Dip.
Makes 6 appetizer portions