Smoke detectors save family of 5 and guests - The Explorer: Pima Pinal

Smoke detectors save family of 5 and guests

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 11:00 pm | Updated: 8:19 am, Thu Mar 24, 2011.

Smoke detectors awoke a family of five and their five sleepover house guests early Saturday after a fire began in the garage of the home and spread deadly smoke into the house.

Northwest Fire District crews responded at 5:21 a.m. to a house at 3864 W. Argo near Linda Vista and Thornydale roads. Upon arrival the first engine crew found the entire group safely outside the house, along with the family dog. Fire crews took 10 minutes to get the fire under control.

The majority of the damage was to the garage and cars within the garage. The interior of the home sustained moderate smoke damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, occurring near the water heater located in the garage. 

Northwest's public information officer, Captain Adam Goldberg, noted the parents of the sleepover guests, aged between 12 and 13, were all notified, and that the remaining children, aged 11 to 18, are related to the house's owners.

The fire was the first house fire for Northwest' newest station — 39 — that opened last month and the first engine company from that station arrived within six minutes, according to Goldberg, preventing the fire from spreading any farther.

Goldberg reminded homeowners to regularly check smoke detectors and replace the batteries at least once a year.

© 2014 The Explorer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

Featured Videos

Oro Valley Audiology

Oro Valley AudiologyAddress: 2542 E Vistoso Commerce Loop Rd, Oro Valley, AZ 85755Phone:(520) ...

Spacer4px

Online poll

Loading…
Loading…

Follow us on Facebook