Holiday fire destroys NW mobile home - The Explorer: Pima Pinal

Holiday fire destroys NW mobile home

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 12:00 am | Updated: 8:13 am, Thu Mar 24, 2011.

A Thanksgiving morning mobile-home fire near La Cholla Boulevard and River Road has left two people homeless.

Northwest Fire District firefighters responded to the mobile home at 5050 N. La Cholla Boulevard at 2:30 a.m. Thursday. An attic space was engulfed in flame.

The smell of smoke woke the husband and wife living in the home, but they were unable to find the source of the fire. Firefighters arrived within four minutes and located and extinguished the fire in 17 minutes.

Numerous pets also were evacuated from the home, including eight cats, two rabbits and several birds. Residents and pets were not injured.

Fire investigators say an electrical short in the attic space, resulting from wiring to a ceiling fan, caused the blaze. The homeowner installed a ceiling fan using an extension cord as permanent wiring to power the ceiling fan.

Norwest officials said it’s important to ensure that extension cords are used only for designed of specific uses. Also, ensure that the cord is UL approved for either inside or outside use, and that the extension cord is equipped with an internal circuit breaker that will trip in the event of an electrical emergency.

Northwest recommends that all holiday decorations be set with a timer to turn off at night, and that electrical decorations and or candles never be used when residents are not at home.

Damages to the home were estimated to be approximately $10,000.

© 2014 The Explorer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.

Featured Videos

Oro Valley Audiology

Oro Valley AudiologyAddress: 2542 E Vistoso Commerce Loop Rd, Oro Valley, AZ 85755Phone:(520) ...

Spacer4px

Online poll

Loading…
Loading…

Follow us on Facebook