Tucson’s modern streetcar opens to the public in three days. Want to be a part of the opening day action? Here’s how:
Take a bus or shuttle downtown. The following routes go to the Ronstadt Transit Center and the immediate area:
- Sun Tran Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 16, 19, 21, 22, 23
- Sun Express Routes 101X-110X
- Sun Shuttle Route 421
Then attend the grand opening dedication from 9-10 a.m. at Congress and Fifth. Expect 2,000-plus attendees. Be aware of special event road closures and travel restrictions. No backpacks due to security.
If such a big crowd isn’t your thing but ribbon cuttings are, there are four of those earlier in the morning elsewhere on the route:
- 7 a.m.: Avenida del Convento and Congress stop (Mercado)
- 7:40 a.m.: Helen Street and Warren Avenue stop (University of Arizona)
- 8:05 a.m.: University Boulevard and Tyndall Avenue stop (Main Gate)
- 8:28 a.m.: 4th Avenue and 7th Street stop (4th Ave.)
SunLink is free to ride from 10 a.m. on Friday through 8 p.m. on Sunday. Fares begin on Monday.