New technologies are now enabling homeowners to automate lights, entertainment and security systems, thermostats, door locks and more. And experts say that coordinating these control systems can save you time and money, and increase the value of your home.
Gone are the days when home automation was a futuristic concept from science fiction or an out of reach luxury, as new innovations are making such technologies more affordable and easier to use.
“While many automation products available today are stand-alone devices, offering control for only one component of your house, such as your thermostat or music, it’s possible to bring all of those various smart home features together under one system,” says Martin Plaehn, CEO for Control4, a market leader in home automation. “And doing so can make your life easier.”
If you’re not entirely sure that modernizing your home in this way is right for you, there are many things to consider, ranging from security to budget to comfort to increasing the value of your home.
• Stay safe: An automation system can deliver peace of mind. Before you left for vacation, did you forget to lock the door or schedule your lights to rotate? With a system like the Control4 MyHome app, you can use your mobile device to check your security system or lock your front door from wherever you are in the world.
• Stay on budget: It may be hard to imagine a high-tech home, but flexible systems allow you to start small, controlling just one room and then expand through the home. For example, Control4 can start with a single controller, remote and an app to automate and control existing or new smart devices. Over time the system can grow, adding more devices and functionality to meet your changing lifestyle needs and budget.
• Invest: While there are upfront costs to modernizing your home, you may recover some of your initial investment if you’re looking to sell any time in the future. Such an upgrade can potentially drive up your home’s value and will definitely set it apart from others on the market.
• Go green: By scheduling everything -- from lighting control to thermostat management, you can stop wasting energy at home and save kilowatts and dollars. You can even program your shades to be drawn at a certain time of day to keep your house cooler. An installer can consult with you to offer more ideas for how to make your home more energy-efficient.
• Reduce clutter: With one remote, you can turn on your television, draw the shades, dim the lights and control the temperature of the room, making space on your coffee table for more snacks!
• Ease of use: Many home automation systems operate from a device you’re already familiar with, such as your smartphone, tablet or computer.
More information about modernizing your home can be found at www.Control4.com.
Envy the Jetsons? While robot maids may still be a futuristic fantasy, new technologies available today can help you live a more comfortable lifestyle.