Finalists have been identified for the 2009 Community and Business Builder of the Year awards presented by the Marana Chamber of Commerce.
Winners are identified and awards presented at a reception and ceremony on Wednesday, Feb. 10, at Tower Theatres in Marana.
The finalists are:
• non-profits: Marana Health Center, Marana Western Heritage Committee, Northwest YMCA;
• 51 or more employees: Southwest Gas Corp., Wal-Mart, Waste Management;
• 11-50 employees: Awakenings Massage, Canyon Community Bank, Tower Theatres;
• 2-10 employees: Gabrielle M. Luoma, CPA, PLLC; Marana Weekly News; State Farm Insurance, Gary Nicholl;
• 1 employee, sole proprietor or entity: AKKA Karate USA, Batters Box, State Farm Insurance, Andrea Jones.
Chamber food service members are providing samples of their specialties at the gathering. The Community and Business Builder of the Year awards were established "to recognize companies that have contributed to build the Marana community," a chamber release said. More sponsorships and food openings are available; contact Ed Stolmaker, Marana chamber president and chief executive officer, at 909-4314, or Kath Price at KathyPrice@maranachamber.com.
Marana chamber taking newsletter to the electrons
The Marana Chamber of Commerce is "turning over a green leaf," converting its newsletter to an e-mailed version.
Citing the environment and "the ever-rising cost of printing," the chamber plans to make its newsletter electronic in February. People who wish to receive a printed newsletter may ask to do so via e-mail to the chamber by this Friday, Jan. 15. Unless it hears otherwise, the chamber is sending the information by e-mail in February.
The chamber's address is maranachamber.com. Its phone number is 682-4314.