Students are encouraged to inquire with their colleges for ceremony details and to visit the commencement website.
Starting this weekend, graduating University of Arizona students and their family members are invited to participate in various convocation ceremonies hosted by main campus and health science colleges, UA multicultural centers and other University departments.
Convocations provide an opportunity to further recognize graduating student accomplishments. A total of 4,206 undergraduate student degrees and more than 1,000 master's and doctoral degrees will be conferred during the UA's Spring Commencement ceremonies on May 11-12.
"The University of Arizona's Commencement Operations Team has worked diligently to ensure that our university-wide commencement ceremonies balance the dignity and decorum we as university leaders desire, while also offering festive celebrations of the accomplishments of our graduating students," UA President Eugene G. Sander said.
Students are advised to RSVP or inquire within their colleges for ceremony details and to visit the commencement website for more information about convocations.
In one of the largest UA convocations, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will honor its graduate and undergraduate students on May 11 at 2 p.m. at the Tucson Convention Center Arena.
The College of Fine Arts will host a combination undergraduate and graduate convocation ceremony at 5:30 p.m. on May 10 at Centennial Hall.
Convocations for the UA colleges of medicine, nursing, pharmacy and public health will be held during the following ceremonies:
* The Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health convocation will be held May 11 at 9:30 a.m. with a reception immediately following at the Temple of Music and Art, 330 S. Scott Ave.
* The College of Medicine convocation for doctors in medicine will be held May 11 at 3:30 p.m. at Centennial Hall. Dr. Richard Carmona, the 17th Surgeon General of the U.S. and Distinguished Professor of Public Health, will serve as the keynote speaker.
* The physiology convocation for undergraduates in the College of Medicine will be held May 11 at noon at the Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom.
* The College of Nursing convocation will be held May 11 at 11 a.m. at Crowder Hall.
* The College of Pharmacy convocation will be held May 11 at 8 a.m. in Centennial Hall. Doors will open at 7:30 a.m., and a reception will follow.
The UA department of multicultural programs and services also will hold spring convocation ceremonies to recognize outstanding achievement.
The UA African American Student Affairs program will host its ceremony on May 7 at 5 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center North Ballroom.
The UA Asian Pacific American Student Affairs program will host its ceremony on May 5 at 5:30 p.m. with a reception in the Student Union Memorial Center South Ballroom from 6:30-8 p.m.
Chicano/Hispano Student Affairs will recognize student achievement in a ceremony to be held on May 9 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Centennial Hall, and the Native American Student Affairs program will host its ceremony on May 10 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center North Ballroom.
Students or family members with disabilities are invited to request accommodations or to inquire about access and seating for any UA-affiliated convocation or ceremony at the UA Disability Resource Center.