We have been enjoying some gorgeous weather here in Southern Arizona as of late, wouldn’t you agree? We all know, though, that these mild temperatures are fleeting so we best enjoy them while we can. With that in mind, here are five things you can (and should!) get outdoors and do before the mercury creeps up.
1. Pack a picnic dinner – There are several great parks to choose from, but I’m especially fond of Agua Caliente Park, located at 12325 E Roger Rd in Tucson. There are very few parks here in the desert as lush as this one. With its pretty palms and soothing water, it’s a perfect spot to picnic. Casual summer dinner picnics are the perfect excuse, er, I mean, opportunity to turn crackers and cheese into a meal, don’t you think?
2. Take a hike – There are hundreds of trails to choose from locally, so why not round up the family and head outdoors one Saturday morning? My family enjoys hiking the trails of Madera Canyon. The kids hop from rock to rock and scurry up, around and over boulders and fallen trees. The hiking trails at Madera are well-marked and beneath the canopy of tall trees, we’re kept cool and shaded. There are a number of picnic tables around the park, too.
3. Tour the canyon – During select months of the year (May included) visitors to Sabino Canyon can try an evening tram ride up the canyon. Three rides are offered per month. For reservations or for more information, call 520.749.2327
4. Head downtown – The second Saturday of each month brings free entertainment to downtown Tucson. You can go for the entertainment and stay for the food and shopping. The event is completely family-friendly and, best of all, free! Visit www.2ndsaturdaysdowntown.com for more information.
5. Go wild at the zoo – Starting May 24th, the Reid Park Zoo will begin offering Summer Safari Friday Nights from 5:30-8:00pm. It’s the perfect opportunity to wander the zoo during cool evenings. You can even grab a bite for the family at the Zoofari Market. Find more information by visiting www.tucsonzoo.org/event/summer-safari-nights-15/.